Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Transient

Today's post: "Transient" painting in process to completion!



Underdrawing.... I only did underdrawings with the brush this past semester to force myself to keep loose and not get hung up on the drawing. However, I still want to experiment with a detailed, rendered drawing and painting over it... but I suspect I need a re-work varnish. Anybody know for sure?



Happy accident! So, I was cleaning my brushes when I accidentally flicked one and some of the cleaning solution/turpentine hit the wet paint. Oh, shit! Wait a minute... I really like that. A technique was uncovered! I'm still in love with my drips and splatters as textures, but understand I need to experiment with my control and use of them. I think using the turpentine to create them and then layer color over them (sometimes not) helps create a greater sense of texture than just the ink splats I've always been so fond of.



Underpainting complete! Kinda creepy... which, of course, means I'm into it.





Glazed color...



Stage it was in right before the last session. Empty eyeball socket really enhances that creep factor.




And final! I still need to sign it and varnish the painting, but it's mostly complete.










I really like how this painting turned out and a lot of people enjoyed it at the gallery show last week. I wanted to explore lost edges and had the concept of her being some sort of ethereal space woman in mind when painting. I think some of that emotion and mood came through in the final without having to become literal.

That's not to say there won't be space paintings coming your way in the future.
That's right. Paintings of chicks in space. It's happening.

No comments: