Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Adventure Awaits

As you may have noticed by now, I'm a big fan of fantasy and its use of the quest and adventure. Last year I was told to read The Kingkiller Chronicle, a fantasy trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss. I was not disappointed. Seriously, if you're a fantasy fan and haven't yet made your way to reading these books start NOW. Yes, they're that good. I had just finished The Wise Man's Fear, the second book in the trilogy, and was super inspired by its narrative. Thus, I present to you, another illustration I created for my thesis for the aforementioned novel.

First, of course, I did some thumbnails. The main character is very much a bard but in this book you're told the story of how he became a warrior as well, so I thought it was important to show this.


I fused #2 and #3, then did a color rough.



I then shot a model in the pose, gathered reference, and started drawing. I decided to omit the lute because it didn't make sense to me how it was hanging, and any other way just made his warrior stance confusing. In its fictional reality, Kvothe would never, ever have his precious lute out with his sword. So I decided to focus instead fully on his traveling warrior aspect.



many hours in Photoshop later.... the final illustration!



Kvothe is so damn cool....

No comments: