Saturday, August 17, 2013

Reference Informs and Inspires: Roses Are Perty

I had an idea to start a series of posts dedicated to sharing some of my reference photos. Reference is so important for illustrators, and most artists in general. Not only is reference great to inform on details, but I've found it to be mighty inspiring too. Oftentimes I'll refer back to reference photo shoots when I get bored or need a visual stimulus. Sometimes I already have the composition in mind when I go to shoot reference, but when locations and nature are involved I often like to just have a theme or looser idea and allow my photo shoot adventures to be more open and exciting.

This post is from my shoot at Oakland's The Morcom Amphitheater of Roses. It's located between Oakland Ave. and Grand Ave. It's a brisk walk from my apartment and I went May of last year with some friends to enjoy the roses. 


The view from atop one of the many hills in the neighborhood.












I was really drawn to the texture of the color on this kind. I was so amazed to see so many variations of roses all in one beautiful place.











If you're near Oakland, I highly recommend checking out The Morcom Amphitheater of Roses. It's very peaceful and free and open to the public. I'm sure the roses are in pretty bloom now, so if you can check it out. I hope these photos help to inspire you as much as they do me.

No comments: