Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Dream In Progress

Today's main focus has been starting my painting for the cover of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" I thought I would share some progress shots thus far.


Transferring the drawing to panel using graphite transfer paper. Now there's something I must say here. For the longest I forwent the transfer paper and did the cheap method of just coloring the back of your drawing with pencil myself, then transferring it. Now, that works fine and all... but I have to say I am not regretting the ten bucks I spent on the transfer paper AT ALL. And it's only been used for two illustrations so far. It really saves me time and also makes the lines much darker and legible than the self-graphite method (at least in my experience... perhaps if I had used darker leads..).

Morale of the story: if you're easily distracted and impatient like I can be, do yourself a favor and get the transfer paper.



Drawing's all ready to go on the panel. Time to start painting!




And an in-progress. Definitely gone farther and there's A LOT more to do on this, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to finish it traditionally in time for the class deadline of Monday. That's where my handy dandy computer is going to come in this weekend. However, I am definitely finishing this piece traditionally for my thesis... just need to also meet the deadline of the Narrative Illustration class.

It's been a fun day of painting and I'm looking forward to many more. Painting, you teach me patience and to relax and not worry about the little mistakes or "errors". It can always be covered up and re-worked. And, hey, that "mistake" actually kinda looks cool and inspires me for something else. Way to go, painting.

No comments: